Learn how we’re reinventing talent - from the bottom up:
- Why prioritize hiring for the Flow state over prior experience, skills, academics, and other keyword thinking?
- How to unearth Flow potential with the technology of Story in interviews
- Nobody wants to read undifferentiated job descriptions - our Opportunity Pitches bring better, longer-lasting candidates faster
- Show candidates the real benefits of any job - as a major opportunity in life, career, and meaning
- How to prevent employee-interviewers untrained in cognitive error and implicit bias from killing the productivity and diversity of your hires
Supercharge Your Recruiting Now!
Subscribe now and get all the book’s secrets months before they're published!
Candidates and Career Seekers
Learn how to unearth, and articulate,
your most compelling personal story for maximum happiness and performance
- Learn how to reinvent your career identity to convince people to let you take on the roles that put you in Flow
- Learn why the misguided focus on skills, keywords, and prior experience will never differentiate you (nor get you into the Flow state)
- Multiply the ROI of your social platforms, bios and resumes, and job and media interviews
High Performance Story
Schedule atime for a phone call to discuss your pitch -- and how we can help you improve both your pitch and its underlying business model and strategy to optimize your funding chances.
Get your Advance Copy of High Performance Story:
Learn how to unearth and articulate YOUR best story!
High Performance Startup Consultation
HR and Hiring Managers:
Get a competitive edge with advance chapters of Reinventing Talent
We will never spam you!
What Our Clients Do That's Different
Hire for Flow over “Prior Experience”!
Clients optimize for candidates’ ability to enter and sustain the Flow state in the role.
This means hiring for strengths (aka talents) and the candidate’s capacity to sustain meaning in the role. Don’t hire for keywords but the key talents and sense of meaning and purpose proven to move the needle at work.
Market Every Role as an Opportunity!
Our clients reinvent job descriptions around Flow - especially the meaning of the role to the candidate.
Our Role Opportunity Pitch combines marketing savvy and copywriting chops to create differentiating benefits candidates actually care about: purpose and meaning, learning and development, career path and autonomy, mastery, and the quality of the boss.
Interview for Story!
To ascertain strengths and the capacity for meaning that spells Flow, our clients interview for Story: a relatable character presented with challenges who uses transferable strengths to achieve a positive outcome.
It’s the ultimate behavior-based interview. And we teach your interviewers how to understand the elements of Story and draw them out of every candidate.
Hire the Right Managers!
Managers have the potential to spark the greatest performance improvements, but companies often hire managers whose main qualification is tenure or talents in the work of the managed.
These managers are the single biggest drag on productivity and retention. Our clients hire better managers for improvements on every talent metric.
High Performance Story is a virtual accelerator for startup founders, a maximizer of highly creative and productive teams, and the world's first firm to optimize all of talent management for the super-productive Flow state.
We’ve helped founders to refine business models, talent strategies, go-to-market plans, and investor pitches to raise over $350 million in capital and grants. Our clients hire better talent faster, and the employees we help them hire are more productive and stay longer.
Give us the opportunity to demonstrate, with evidence, why we're confident that a stronger understanding of Flow, strengths, meaning, and Story will dramatically improve every relevant metric in your organization.
- Brand yourself as a founder and thought-leader
- Learn to tell your startup's evidence-based Story
- Produce a killer business plan that brings in the cash, top employees, and free media
- Find out how to improve every aspect of your business strategy and how you communicate it
Employer Brand Stories
With a powerful and meaningful employer brand, our clients:
- Increase the productivity - and retention - of their hires
- Increase employee satisfaction
- Enhance psychological safety, the #1 predictor of high-performance teams
- Cut their cost of acquiring top employees
- Slash their cost of acquiring customers
- Learn and own your strengths and passions - i.e., your talents and differentiation
- Differentiate yourself like a Jedi with a strong brand and its talking points
- Improve your resume and learn the High Performance cover letter technique to get more and better interviews
- Master stories for the behavior-based interview, the gold standard in interviewing
- Learn our singular system for crafting and presenting performance-based Stories that result in a surprising percentage of our clients getting hired among crowded fields
Career Search & Branding
Optimize your work choices to spend as much time as possible in FLOW:
- Learn what motivates you, where you excel, and what makes you happy
- Seriously differentiate yourself in a resume that dramatizes strengths
- Get a LinkedIn profile that attracts recruiters or clients
- Learn to write killer cover letters that differentiate while avoiding cliche
- Develop a productive Job Search Strategy
- Learn why a Networking Strategy is crucial to your career - and how to develop one asap
- Discover, plan, and start your own business
From the High Performance Team featured in...
"I argue for the primacy of talent and broad experience, for the well-rounded and the well-read, for the liberal arts and for the Jacks and Jills of many trades (and master of several) who are the innovators and wisdom-holders among us. I hold that the Flow state is what we should all be optimizing for in our career searches and our hiring alike."
-- Cameron Powell, Founder
Get early book drafts of the ideas that are changing recruiting!
Improve Diversity, Retention, Time to Hire, and Workforce Quality by Optimizing Talent Searches for Flow and Meaning
- Why nobody wants to read undifferentiated job descriptions
- To optimize your hiring for the Flow state, target candidates' ability to use their strengths in the role and sustainably find meaning in it
- Reduce unwanted applications and cost per hire
- Improve resume and interview quality
- Improve productivity of hires
- Increase retention
- How to convey to candidates the benefits of a job they really care about - in a reinvented job description we call the Talent Opportunity Pitch.
- Why your superficial notions of “prior experience” are killing productivity and innovation
Subscribe now and get all the book’s secrets months before they're published!
Our founder's latest journey to find and make meaning through story . . .
Read it now on Kindle or hardcover
A terrifying diagnosis. An unbreakable bond. And one unforgettable journey.
Cameron Powell has always struggled with goodbyes. On the day his marriage ends, he finds out his mother's cancer has returned-and this time there may be no escape. Faced with the prospect of more chemo and surgery, his German-born mother, Inge, vows to conquer a 500-mile trek across Spain, and Cameron pushes aside his fears to walk by her side.
Joined by a misfit band of adventurers - a politically incorrect Spaniard, a theatrical Frenchwoman, a teenager who's never been far from home - Cameron and Inge write a fierce and funny travelogue about the rocky heights and hidden valleys of the Camino de Santiago.
As a Camino memoir in the tradition of James Hitt or Bill Bryson, Ordinary Magic delivers. But the hardest stretch comes three years later, when Inge's health declines -- and Cameron, ready or not, must accept the challenge to remain as present to his mother as he can.
Cameron begins to record, in still more chiseled prose, his real-time impressions of life's most difficult voyage. What he created has become one of literature's great love letters -- and a uniquely unflinching insight into how we all truly can create love and meaning in our lives, even amidst the fear and sadness we’ll all face from time to time.
“Powerful, inspiring —and, amazingly, almost impossible to put down.” - Mary Dearborn, Hemingway: A Biography
Propelled by the searing immediacy of Cameron’s own fear and sadness, this deeply-felt memoir opens up new insight into what it means to be a man, and takes us - with wisdom, humor, and an overflowing tenderness - into one of the most challenging journeys true friends can ever take. If you like candid mother-son relationships, humorous tales from the trail, and in-the-moment insights on living a life of resilience and purpose, then you'll love Cameron Powell's luminous, inspirational true story about pilgrimage, presence, and letting go.
Ordinary Magic is the love story, lifelong inspiration, and soulful laugh and cry you need in your life right now. Pick up your ebook today - or get the gorgeous hardcover!
"Studded with gems of spirited observation and wit . . . of the most fond and loving sort, and Inge, Powell’s mother, emerges as an indelible heroine. Powell is a writer to watch." -- Mary Dearborn, Hemingway: A Biography
How did the story begin?
Mom and I blogged while on the Camino de Santiago. Readers loved the travel writing, and said our journey was inspiring and hilarious. But when the Camino ended, I stopped blogging. I started again when Mom's health began to decline, because I just had to write. My decision to share my path with others, on the blog, was one of the best I’ve ever made. The love was overwhelming, a light in my darkness.
What surprised you most about readers’ reactions?
People saw the humor in it all. And they kept saying the posts were “beautiful”. I realized people have a real hunger for what really matters.
What makes this memoir different?
As a story of a mother through the eyes of her son, it’s so rare as to be overdue. Readers have really responded to the sheer grit of my mom. And because I have a lifelong fascination with the human mind and heart, I saw a way to make my mom’s psychological resilience something every reader can learn from.